Someone recently asked me for some tips on what to wear to a 40th birthday celebration in NYC. At first I thought it was an easy enough question but it got me thinking about some of the style changes I have gone through in the years leading up to this milestone birthday. Of course you want to look and feel fabulous at 40 but fabulous now probably looks and feels alot different than it did 10 years ago.
Sure, you want pieces that are fashionable and trendy but ultimately it’s about knowing what you look and feel good in, knowing what areas of your body you are comfortable showing off and what you maybe want to conceal. And sticking to it. There is nothing worse than buying some trendy piece that just doesn’t work for your body type – it either sits in your closet unworn, or you wear it and end up fidgeting with it and feeling less than fabulous all night long.
Anyhow, I have included a few different ideas for inspiration below.
LOOK #1: Lingerie Inspired Camis
A really cute look for a girls night out is a lingerie inspired cami. Because these tops are so bare on top, I often like to cover up my bottom half a little more.. I love wearing a pretty cami with distressed denim and pair of mules. Plus the cami is a great layering piece as we move into Fall to wear with a cardigan. Here are a few camis I am loving right now, all under $50.
BTW I typically wear my camis with a pretty bralette with thin straps, because I just can’t deal with a strapless bra.
1. TopShop Scallop Cami. Nordstrom| It comes in pink and white too but I love this yellow colour. And its only $25.
2. Button Down Cami. TopShop at The Bay | This will be a perfect layering piece for Fall/Winter and its only $38.
3. Pleated Lace Cami. The Bay. | This clearance find at $26 is so pretty with the pleating and ruffle detail.
4. Striped Lace Trim Cami. Zara | $40 | This would also look great under a black blazer with either denim of leather pants.
5. Lingerie Inspired Tank. Zara. $50 | the lace and the shape on this is so feminine.
LOOK #2: Bow Tie Shorts
I also love wearing a pair of shorts with heels (love an ankle strap) for a night out. Right now there are so many cute high waisted shorts with bow tie belts which are really flattering. You can pair them with a body suit if you want a more fitted look on top, but I often like to wear a looser top tucked in just at the front – its more comfortable especially for a night out when food is involved.
1. Mustard Shorts Paperbag Shorts. Zara. $40 | This colour would look beautiful with a blue and white striped tee. And I would wear it with these mustard coloured bow mules. I love a monochromatic look.
2. Vegan Leather Shorts. Shopbop | $120. Bit a of a splurge but I’ve had my faux leather shorts (similar pair) for 3 years now, maybe 4, and I still wear them often. And they are great to wear into Fall with a pair of booties.
3. Striped Paper Bag Shorts. Zara. $40 |I wear these all the time. I have a horizontal striped tee with ruffle sleeves that I love to wear with these. And for a night out I throw on a pair of yellow heels. I love blue and yellow together.
There is also a similar pair at The Bay for $30 on clearance.
4. Checked Paperbag Shorts. Nordstrom.